If Ifs and Ands Were Pots and Pans…

All day today when I ask people what the plan is, I get a nonsequiter answer saying something like, “If only X had happened, then you wouldn’t be asking.”

It’s like:

(I’m on Team Superman, by the way.)

So, riddle me this: What if Bernie had been the losing candidate? Or Elizabeth Warren? Or if Comey hadn’t ginned-up the email crap last week? What if the press had covered Trump’s tax returns? What if the moon is made of cheese?

We can go on all day asking nonsensical hypothetical questions; it doesn’t matter now.

So the Purity Posse tells us that it is our fault that Trump won because Clinton is a centrist. I ask what the plan is and they shout: Drones! TPP! Torture!

So burn the fucker to the ground, that’s the plan. That’s white privilege right there: Susan Sarandon will come out of this clusterfuck fine; she can afford to be pure. But the kindling for burning the whole damn thing down is going to be people who are already beaten down, those who are without a champion.

And I got your cronyism right here: Trump’s potential list of cabinet nominees, which includes putting Mooselini in as the head of the Department of the Interior, and a Goldman-Sachs dude in the Treasury. Read this thing and tell me that’s the country you want to live in.

We have but one battle now: We must stop Hair Führer’s Agenda from being implemented. And we need everyone on deck, so let’s stop the circular firing squad and focus.

This entry was posted in 2016 Goat Rodeo. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to If Ifs and Ands Were Pots and Pans…

1. simplelittleelectrician says:

Sanders? Would have been crushed like a bug. TheFilth Party was counterprogramming with Orange Syphilis; had Sen. Sanders ever actually gotten traction, they’d have nominated Bush or Kasich, someone ‘looking’ moderate against the Jewish Atheist Wacky Professor, the election would have been called by 7pm.

The Lovely Elizabeth? Would have a better chance than Sen. Sanders, maybe, still a tossup. The counterprogramming would again be Bush, maybe Cruz, maybe annointing the Prodigy Ryan, the shithead party’s ‘policy wonk’.

What do we do? Well, to start, I’ve already called McCollum, tomorrow will be Franken and Klobisher, to encourage them, loudly, to do everything in their power, procedurally, screaming at any camera within 200 ydds, to not allow this fucking pig to achieve wiping his spray-tanned asshole in peace. Then Imma going to my next Ramsey Co Dems meeting and hollering again.

Rinse, repeat.

• HenryWallace says:

Wow… Apparently you have be asleep for the last six months!

The disaffected white working class decided this election. Their votes were obtained by the non-establishment candidate appealing to the very worst in their natures.

Until you have an answer for this you’re not dealing with reality.

PS: If Bush, Kasich, Cruz or Ryan could have been nominated they would have been. Again, you must not have been paying attention.

2. Osirisopto says:

We mustn’t forget that Trump could be the first sitting preznint convicted of racketeering.
    Pence would step up to the plate. Health care would be a minor concern then.

A fifty state strategy is the only thing that makes sense. Fight every battle like it’s the only battle. Last time it was tried we won the house, the senate and the executive and got a piss-ass poor excuse for national health care. (which is better than the pointy stick in the eye we’re going to get sometime around 2018 or maybe 2020. )
    but the strategy was abandoned by the professional pols in favor of doing things the same way they’ve been done in the past (2000 and 2004 come to mind.)

Insanity is…

Now tell me whose balls do we start busting about this?

There’s no time like the present. And doing anything is better than whining and crying about what should have, could have or would have been.

To quote The Bard “The fault, dear Brutus lies not in the stars, but in ourselves that we are underlings…”

• A.J. says:

YES! 50-States. Just like Howard Dean said the party had to do and not just cherry-pick the states they can win. And start at the state level where election districts are drawn and election laws are made and carried out. Post this AM said Dems lost 900 state seats since 2008. And get a full-time DNC chief, and not an elected member of Congress. It’s a full time job!

3. spocko says:

I’m all for fighting its what I do. I wrote about it here. One of the things that I hear people saying is, if only this or that about Trump came out. We’ll, it didn’t who was holding back? Can we see it now? Also if you want to make his supporters see that he is a fraud that’s not enough.

The way to Use Trump is to demand he do the things we want, like stopping TPP.

• Osirisopto says:

Good point, Spock’s.
      Good post, too. I can feel your passion.

You’re a pretty good writer. If you were going to write a letter to dem a power broker about the advantages and need for a fifty state strategy what would it say?
      What message would you send to that audience?

4. Susan says:

Amen, brother. I’m depressed today, and not thinking straight. I’m pleading: keep up the ideas. I’m looking for a cause and a way to make some good trouble (paraphrasing John Lewis.} All hands on deck … I want to be there.

• Osirisopto says:

A cause I can get behind is my wife, my daughter and my three grandsons. And not retiring into a cardboard box.

What’s a cause that motivates you?
      What do you fear loosing?

5. I know it’s not much help, but I think I may just take a little bit of advice from the Professional Left and fade out from the political blogosphere for a bit. Focus on a hobby, play a little guitar, chase a couple of professional jobs, cuddle with the fuzz buckets….repair a little psyche. Ignore the Book of Faces and the twooter.

Hopefully, renew my sense of youthful optimism….

• Osirisopto says:

Who do you think you could influence most effectively, lisahgolden?

I’ve always been impressed by your clarity of thought and the dignity of your writing. Could I ask you to please write a companion letter template to that which I’ve asked of Spocko?
      His leter, if he chooses to write it is expected to be very masculine. I feel your feminine perspective on the problem and solution in conjunction with your writing style would be very helpful.

6. Osirisopto says:

Ok. Here’s a plan tell me what’s wrong with it and what’s right. How to make it better or how to do it differently.

The people who know more about the power structure and the levers in the national dem party sit down and figure out who are the ones who can say yes to a fifty state strategy, then figure out who we can turn to for help in twisting their arms, Franken? Warren? Clinton? Lewis? Eschoo?

The figure out what positions within the state dem parties are pressure points.

Share this information widely.

Then we all commit to making two phone calls and one hard copy letter per week to these people, fifteen minutes of our time.
    And we make a commitment to getting one other person each month to do the same. Doesn’t matter if they keep it up doing it once is enough.

I request that someone who is a good writer and understands the problem write up a template that can be modified by each of us individually each month like we do for our Seo keywords.

I’ll buy frikin’ stamps for anyone who needs them and rent the server space.

7. Uncle Cracker says:

…lets face it, we have no “lady in waiting” or “white/black knight” on the bench ready to seize the mantle. Who in the Blue party will be under 70 and a seasoned pro? No one…Gore, Clinton, Kerry, Biden, all threadbare and worn out. Not saying I don’t love them, but its over.
    We need to get some talent fast and spin them up to combat this orange wave pronto.
    Maybe Van Hollen from MD, Tim Kaine is no wunderkind himself…
    Can we find an un-dead Kennedy somewhere? We need a hero!

We’ll just have to party like it’s 1999 all over again. Except this time they forgot to rinse and went straight to repeat. I foresee a preznit who takes a lot of vacations so Mike Pence is the one worth watching. Just don’t forget to point and scream to high heaven every time one of them fu(ks up.

9. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

I think I’ll be in hangover mode for a few weeks. I have some personal business to attend to for the next month or so. I’ve already talked to one immigrant friend of mine from Honduras and told her, ‘Sea fuerte’ (Be strong). I’ll see other Latino friends and a couple of Muslim friends over the weekend, and I’m sure the ascent of Vulgarmort will be a main topic of conversation.

10. Uncle Cracker says:

…and no, Elizabeth Warren is not the answer…waves her arms almost as much as the increasingly annoying Steve Kornacki

11. Osirisopto says:

Well Eschoo lost her seat to an R so she’s no help.

Is Brazille worth contacting?

Getting Warren to wave her arms in the face of a few of the right people would probably be a good thing.

Yes, Osirisopto, Donna Brazille is the acting head of the DNC, and she is the person who can make it happen (until there is a full-time head of the DNC).

I’m not optimistic that she would take the advice. She was Al Gore’s campaign manager. Let that sink in.

• Osirisopto says:

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first steps.”

Ok then, Donna Brazille is first on the list. TG, do you know her contact info and who might have influence over her?

12. Uncle Cracker says:

How old would Jerry Brown be in 2020?

13. Feingold für the DNC? Otherwise, Imma want him as WI Governor….

14. 9thousandfeet says:

I’m all for planning and fighting, even as I’ll admit I don’t know really what that means now, for the first time in my life.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the task before people of goodwill at this point is to figure out how to salvage what’s left of democracy and deploy it to disempower those forces of darkness at the ballot box.
    We have two years to make that happen, and the forces of darkness have the same two years to move the goalposts to render such interference with their plans impossible evermore.

If history is any guide in situations like this, two years is more than enough time for them to accomplish that, and the odds are that they will succeed, so we better get on it.

Which I think means we’re gonna have to talk substantively and with intellectual rigor about what the “it” is in that last sentence.
    We’re not going to be able to do that just with tweets and snark, of that I’m sure.

Who are our allies now? Who can be trusted and relied upon to run the political and personal risks necessary for this fight?
    I’m going to need help thinking the likes of Donna Brazile and the rest of the worthless bag of elitist gobshites who currently rule the Dem party roost— who collectively exerted their considerable powers to execute the biggest blunder in US political history and threw ordinary people even further under the bus— belong on that list, but I’m willing to listen and learn and not needlessly pick fights with potential allies.

This is going to be hard, because we’re seriously outgunned now. We’re dealing with people with the both the power and the inclination to deploy “emergency measures” at the least excuse, and if they can’t find an excuse, they’ll be happy to create one.

15. C Montgomery Burns says:

The amazing (Ms @)Joy Ann Reid forgot a few things, among them:
    Citizens United, a personal vendetta against the Clintons will now be harder to overturn.
    ALEC has been trying to rid the country of any and all Workers Comp and Unemployment benefits for years. Yet that won’t matter when no one has a job to worry about loosing.

It now seems that those and hundreds of other issues that directly effect the, as Keith Olbermann said in his apocalyptic latest rant – ‘plains people’, will go the way of the Dodo bird, as will their way of life. They are no longer needed by the gop and will have to fend for themselves.
    Sort of like the real american’s are doing, only with out the free press to acknowledge that they still exist.

16. RobGinChicago says:

Friggin’ troglodytes!!! In their fevered desperation to save us from what they perceived as Sodom and Gomorrah, they’ve now saddled us with Saddam and Chimera.

17. Osirisopto says:

Truthfully I am angry ad are most of the people here. I say most because I don’t want to be close minded and spout unsupported definitive statements.

My response, by nature is to take action to make changes that will benefit me and mine or to correct the errors of the past and move forward to a better future. I’ve never felt a need to grieve, or mourn for what I have lost. Instead I celebrate that which was gained, learn from past mistakes and keep placing one foot in front of the other no matter how painful or difficult it may be.

Last night I tried to help those who I see as comrades, friends and acquitances feel better. I voiced my willingness to motivate and support, and even take a leadership role in a grass-roots effort to correct the problems created by the venality, greed and ignorance of the DLC led Democratic Party.

My plan was simple:

1. Ask the dozens/hundreds/thousands of people here, those who post and those who lurk to invest 15 minutes of their time each week to make two phone calls, and mail one hard copy letter to the decision makers and influencers in the Democratic Party asking the party to once again implement the fifty state strategy first implemented by Gov. Dean that gave us control of the house, the senate and the executive in 2008 and to evangelize just enough to recruit one other person each month to do the same, at least once.

2. I envisioned having three to five template letters that anyone could modify slightly then print out, sign and mail to strategically selected individuals -those decision makers and influencers mentioned above.

3. To assemble a dynamically updated list of contact names, phone numbers and addresses for those decision makers and influencers made available for anyone to use posted to a server dedicated for o this purpose.

Personally I am too busy, to time challenged and needed by my wife far too much to organize, administer or lead a grass roots movement, but I will because it matters. And because I believe it will work.

But it can’t be done without the help, the energies and the collaborative efforts of the people of this and the other communities affected by the disastrous and failed strategy followed by the dems In 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016.

Now I want a to ask – Who among us will commit 15 minutes of their time each week to make the change that has already been proven to work?

Who is with me?

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
    Margaret Mead

I’m in. — TG

Here’s the mail info for the DNC:

Democratic National Committee
      430 South Capitol St. SE
      Washington, DC 20003

There is a web contact form, but I guarantee you that it will do nothing put spam you for $3 donations.

• Osirisopto says:

And that’s one reason to not waste time on website contact forms or sending email.

Snailmail and phone calls. The message needs to be received by the right people.

Brazille doesn’t work in a vacuume. Who do you, TG feel would be good influencers to reach out to as well?

To influence the powers that be, we must influence the powerS (sic) that be.

Can you create a list of three people, people not organizations, who would be good candidates for arm twisting, or recruited allies, advisers or agents?

Walking into an office unannounced is a good way to totally freak out the staff and ensure your message is received. I’ve done it several times with my congress person. The younger staff are usually really happy to see a real person but are obviously out of their element. The older more experienced people use it as an opportunity for outreach and practice their relationship building skills.

But I’m also a middle aged white guy. They tend to pay attention to me. (It’s not right, but thats the way it is.)

The highest ranking Democrat in the House is Nancy Pelosi. She is a great influencer; I think President Obama and VP Biden would be good choices too, to send mail to.

Here in descending order is how Rep. Offices read the importance of your message:

1. Talk in person when you can. Talk to the office staff. They take notes and summarize the day’s bidness for their boss. They absolutely count, maybe more than talking to the Representative.
        2. Talk on the phone with your Rep. Office when you cannot talk in person.
        3. Snail Mail a brief letter.
        4. email – it generally is tallied under an issue, but not read for any detail. And yes, I know this from volunteering once upon a time in my Rep. office, and building a list for the next campaign.

18. Ming says:

I don’t know what the plan is, but there is some civil disobedience in my future. There is no way I’m accepting this stupid bullshit.

19. A.J. says:

“…a Goldman-Sachs dude in the Treasury….”

But…..but…Hillary! Wall Street!!! Ted Cruz’s loans…!

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s