And even some of his confidants are suddenly dejected after a dispiriting week capped off by South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley rejecting Bush in favor of Marco Rubio.
“What a kick in the balls,” said one of Bush’s closest supporters, one of the more than a dozen major Bush donors interviewed for this story.
As is our custom, let’s examine who says what:
- said one of Bush’s closest supporters
- said a Florida-based fundraiser
- that donor said
- one donor on the email chain said
- Bush himself wasn’t on the line when one donor asked
- said one donor
- one Florida-based Bush donor said
- one Washington, D.C., bundler paraphrased Bush’s message to him
- he continued
- two others close to Bush have been insisting
- one longtime Bush ally said
- said a Florida Bush supporter who’s been close to the family for the better part of three decades
- one of Bush’s most loyal Florida backers privately admitted
- another Florida-based Bush supporter said
- one Jeb alumnus said
With stellar sourcing like that, who can argue with the premise that ¡JEB! is about to drop out of The 2016 Goat Rodeo?