News That Will Drive You To Drink

Ben 'The Blade' Carson

Ben ‘The Blade’ Carson

“My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain,” Carson said. “Now all the archeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it. And I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain.”

Someone get the butterfuly nets, this man is a loon. Does he really think that the pyramids are hollow?

(Buzzfeed)

This entry was posted in 2016 Goat Rodeo, Ben 'The Blade' Carson. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to News That Will Drive You To Drink

1. another kiwi says:

What on earth does “I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain.” mean? I realise we are talking about Carson, here, so there’s a large chance that’s it’s just some words that were lying around.

2. Grung_e_Gene says:

Actually, this shows Carson played Sid Meier’s Civilization I and II because the Pyramid Wonder gave the builder free granaries in every city.

I had no idea Ben Carson was an Egyptologist. I would like to see him and Zahi Hawass sit down together and compare theories. That would be interesting.

• Sirius Lunacy says:

He is in fact a renowned Gyptologist. he has gypped a myriad of campaign donors as well as anyone gullible enough to buy his book.

4. E.A. Blair says:

Where in the clip does he say that? There’s no way I’m going to listen to Mental Ben for fifteen minutes.

In any case, if the biblical Joseph existed, and if the best historical estimate of his residence is accurate, he would have lived there at a time when pyramids were no longer built. Some scholars have decided that he was in Egypt during the reign of Amenhotep III (1386 BCE – 1351 BCE), and the age of pyramid construction ended around 1650 BCE (with three exceptions – one pyramid built around 1500 BCE and two more built in 721 BCE and 664 BCE.

So there are at least three things that probably never happened that would have to be true in order for Carson to be correct*:

1. That the bible is historically accurate (which it ain’t).
    2. That Joseph was a real person (which he probably weren’t).
    3. That he built a whole mess of pyramids during a period in which none were being built that have vanished without a trace.

There are also some things that we know aren’t true that would have to be:

4. That the pyramids have enough interior volume to be used for storage.
    5. That they did not have sealed entrances so that the stored materials were accessible.
    6. That they were not used as tombs.

*Like points 1, 2 and 3, this probably has never happened.

5. Osirisopto says:

6. purplehead says:

A great comment on PZ’s post of this topic:
    Saad
    5 November 2015 at 6:03 am
    He’s right. It’s common knowledge that’s where they kept the farro.

Oh man, all this dumber-than-a-stump Carson shit, that governor shit in Kentucky, Kansas stupid, Donald Trump, Michigan stupid, Wisconsin stupid… It’s really hard to take. What is a sane Amurkan to do to survive? Maybe this is the apocalypse. In slo-mo.

7. A.J. says:

And he’s the GOP front-runner.

They told me he was bad
    But I knew he was sad
    That’s why I fell for…the leader of the pack.