He’s not different, he’s a fraud.
Let’s see, Rand Paul has taken these positions:
- Privacy – He says that he wants to dismantle the entire NSA, but then he had to go on record and vote to reform it and instead, he punted.
- Legalizing Dope – Aqua Buddha is opposed, which is pretty much anti-libertarian.
- Defense Spending – he was against it before he was for increasing it.
- Drones – Gee, that 13-hour filibuster he references was back when he was principally against the use of drones, domestically and abroad. He is now in favor of drones domestically and abroad. Besides border security, he has also suggested that Police use drones to hunt down and kill bank robbers.
- Marriage Equality – He finds it personally offensive, and has suggested beastiality is next.
- Personhood – he is the sponsor of a federal personhood bill that would effectively ban all abortion, no exceptions.
Sounds pretty much like every other Republican, no? Let’s give Schroëdinger’s Candidate the last word:
“I’m not a libertarian. I’m a libertarian Republican. I’m a constitutional conservative.”