Victim’s Father Takes Aim

Our son Chris Martinez and six others are dead… Why did Chris die? Chris died because of craven, irresponsible politicians and the NRA. They talk about gun rights. What about Chris’s right to live?

–Richard Martinez

This entry was posted in Guns! Guns! Guns! and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Victim’s Father Takes Aim

1. Verne Greene says:

Thus ends life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for seven Americans.

2. purplehead says:

Gee, what part of that quote is left out in this AP piece?

Purplehead – The Seattle Times is the worst. They even make the SJ Mercury News look competent, which believe me takes some doing.

3. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© says:

With due respect to those who are asking me to comment on last night’s tragic mass shooting at UCSB in Isla Vista, CA — I no longer have anything to say about what is now part of normal American life. Everything I have to say about this, I said it 12 years ago: We are a people easily manipulated by fear which causes us to arm ourselves with a quarter BILLION guns in our homes that are often easily accessible to young people, burglars, the mentally ill and anyone who momentarily snaps. We are a nation founded in violence, grew our borders through violence, and allow men in power to use violence around the world to further our so-called American (corporate) “interests.” The gun, not the eagle, is our true national symbol. While other countries have more violent pasts (Germany, Japan), more guns per capita in their homes (Canada [mostly hunting guns]), and the kids in most other countries watch the same violent movies and play the same violent video games that our kids play, no one even comes close to killing as many of its own citizens on a daily basis as we do — and yet we don’t seem to want to ask ourselves this simple question: “Why us? What is it about US?”

Nearly all of our mass shootings are by angry or disturbed white males. None of them are committed by the majority gender, women. Hmmm, why is that? Even when 90% of the American public calls for stronger gun laws, Congress refuses — and then we the people refuse to remove them from office. So the onus is on us, all of us. We won’t pass the necessary laws, but more importantly we won’t consider why this happens here all the time.

When the NRA says, “Guns don’t kill people — people kill people,” they’ve got it half-right. Except I would amend it to this: “Guns don’t kill people — Americans kill people.” Enjoy the rest of your day, and rest assured this will all happen again very soon.

– Michael Moore
    ————————-
    White American males with guns kill people.
    ~

4. reamus says:

It is a shame that a grieving father has to ask a rhetorical question about his sons death.

If the Whores of the Potomac had guts, the question might never have had to occur to him.

5. M. Bouffant says:

Whoa!! Note this quote from the Times (Seattle’s right-wing rag since it was founded) or the AP:

He then punctuated his words as he said, “We should say to ourselves: ‘Not! One! More!'” before dissolving into tears and falling to his knees as he stepped from the podium.

Really? Take a look at this video. Do you see any “dissolving into tears & falling to his knees?”

6. M. Bouffant says:

DId some research: The Times ran it as the AP typed it. I’m planning on creating as much outrage as possible over this obvious case of right-wing bias.

As someone who has an actual audience, TG, I urge you to jump on this yourself. (W/ both feet.) I’m holding back on my angry e-mail to this clown Baker because I don’t want to give him advance warning.

7. Pissed in NYC says:

How do we make this stop? As someone else noted, if a room full of dead five year olds can’t do it, what can? I have reached the point that I am just waiting for the day, the event, whatever “it” will be that will finally make enough people snap and start demanding some justice and real governance. I guess that makes me either a hopeless optimist or an idiot.