The Death of the Media, Isla Vista Edition

The Death of the Media

Let’s watch wretched father of Chris Martines give his statement to the press:

Now,let’s look at how the AP reported it:

“Our son Christopher and six others are dead,” Richard Martinez told reporters gathered outside a sheriff’s station for a news conference the day after the shootings near the University of California, Santa Barbara, where the 20-year-old son was a sophomore. “You don’t think it’ll happen to your child until it does.”

Christopher Ross Michaels-Martinez, of Los Osos, Calif., was the last of six people killed by suspect Elliot Rodger before the gunman apparently shot and killed himself, authorities said.

Martinez choked back tears as he spoke, then grew angrier as he talked about gun laws and lobbyists.

Notice anything missing?

“The talk about gun rights. What about Chris’ right to live?” Martinez said. “When will enough people say: ‘Stop this madness! We don’t have to live like this! Too many people have died!”

He then punctuated his words as he said, “We should say to ourselves: ‘Not! One! More!'” before dissolving into tears and falling to his knees as he stepped from the podium.

He fell to his knees?

This is just irresponsible journalism. This is not what the thrust of Mr. Martinez’ statement was, he specifically called out politicians and the NRA. Someone at the AP has an agenda to edit this story is such a sloppy way, with both the sin of omission and commission.

A Call To Action

It’s time to be citizen journalists and to call BS on the AP’s reporting.

The AP website has comments, if you feel so compelled you can let the author, Frank Baker, know what you think of his reporting.

You can send the AP a tweet here (if you use Twitter): https://twitter.com/ap

AP’s Facebook Page is here, if you use Facebook.

Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter, they say.

Remember, be professional and courteous, ask for a correction.

Belated Hat Tip: Scissorheads Purplehead and M.Bouffant who both got it way before me.

This entry was posted in Death of the Media. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Death of the Media, Isla Vista Edition

1. M. Bouffant says:

If you don’t want to use info@ap.org, here are the Bureau contacts for the AP’s Calif. Bureau. Baker (fsbaker@ap.org) & the Bureau Chief, Anthony Marquez (amarquez@ap.org) would be the ones.

(Keep it relatively nice, even Madman Bouffant is trying to be calm for this one, it’s actually important.)

2. M. Bouffant says:

QUICK NOTE: Slightly longer official CNN video shows Mr. Martinez indeed overwhelmed by grief, although not “as he stepped from the podium,” but a bit later.

Doesn’t invalidate anything claimed, it’s still crummy reporting.

3. Actually, I DO fear that this could happen to one of my grown children. I live in a red county in a blue state where I get fists shaken at me for having a pro-union sticker on my vehicle. I live down the road from a place where a hopped up ‘neighborhood watch” calls a lot of young folks “vermin” because a white man in his 50’s was found shot in his front yard a year ago — where they run minorities out of town and demolish their homes as “condemned ratholes” in spite of no evidence of guilt. No, I don’t live in Florida.

4. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© says:

Good work, tg and M.B.
    ~

5. Pingback: Sunday Sweetly Twisting – Killer Drinking – Edited | Experiential Pagan

6. yastreblyansky says:

What Thunder said. I sent a Tweet.

7. purplehead says:

As I noted (obliquely) in the previous thread. Guess I could have spelled it out.
    … Why did Chris die? Chris died because of craven, irresponsible politicians and the NRA… The AP left that out. Fuckers. Tools.

Purplehead – you got there first. I was so obsessed with the Seattle Times that I did not notice in your comment it was from the AP.

Please accept my apology, and you have earned the right to laugh at me, mercilessly. or rather, more mercilessly.

• M. Bouffant says:

purp (if I may) I threw you some credit in my bit, ‘though in a “whoops, credit where due P.S.” And even though I rushed mine, TG beat me by two mins. w/ a better & more detailed post. (I bet he can really type, & doesn’t have to hunt & peck.)

8. Some guy says:

Three people were killed by knife, too. Why did they have to die?

Why do we need kitchen knives? I say ban them, too.

Some guy –

Welcome to MPS, it is good to have you with us. You bring up a valuable point, and while we’re banning stuff, why not the car, too? Clearly that make of BMW is dangerous. </snark>

Tengrain

• TG, I am willing to bet that this is a piece of trash that has been stalking S,N! for quite some time. He has nymjacked several people there amongst other perfidy, and they routinely delete his posts.

• Jim Demers says:

Memo to mass murderers: please be sure to knife a healthy fraction (preferably at least half) of your victims, so the NRA’s gun fetishitsts have something distracting to point to.

9. M. Bouffant says:

I’m absolutely sure it is. One can’t leave links at S,N! w/o him following (he must be very lonely) & he just has to bring his diaper pail w/ him.