News Briefs for March 21, 2014 (Updated)

News you can use all day

angry robot attacks

• Resurrection! – The crazy state of Georgia’s oddly named Sen. Josh McKoon, (R-NotSoddomNotGomorrah) tried to re-introduce his previously shot-down Preservation of Religious Freedom Act, which would allow businesses to discriminate against LGBT people (and any other minority) “if they felt their religious beliefs were being compromised.” But fear not, there is a happy ending:

McKoon has withdrawn his “religious freedom” bill, which he considered adding to H.B. 714, due to “overwhelming” opposition.

(Creative Loafing)

• Southern Poverty Law Center designated neo-Confederate hate group League of the South’s Michael Peroutka says that teaching evolution is disloyal to the United States:

“American political philosophy is based on the belief that the world was created by God in six days, and that this creation event occurred about 6,000 years ago,” he explains, adding that news reports describing the Earth as millions of years old were either ignorant or “anti-American.”

“What I’m saying is that the promotion of evolution is an act of disloyalty to America… What I’m saying is there’s no way you can support or believe evolution and sing ‘God Bless America’ during the 7th inning stretch!”

Because it is a proven fact that George Washington and Baby Jeebus wrote that 7th-inning stretch into the constitution 6,000 years ago. Amen. (Raw Story)

UPDATE: I should have known that Right Wing Watch would have the vid:

• Death of the Media, cont. – The search for doomed missing Malaysian airliner continues. CNN is now asking psychics what happened. As you may recall, they have already asked a physicist if the plane could have been swallowed by a black hole. Coming up: X-Files! (Livewire)
This entry was posted in Current Events. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to News Briefs for March 21, 2014 (Updated)

1. Steve-O says:

America was founded on the basis of six day creation/6000 year old world? Teaching and endorsing science is “Anti-American”?
    So these fuckers want this country to become a third world Jesus-y Theocracy?
    Wait- don’t answer- I know what you are going to say and I am busy banging my head against the table.
    And for the all the brain damage I am causing I am STILL SMARTER than that twat.

Steve-O –

Yeah, I know I beat the theocracy drum daily, but that is because the theocrats are the single-greatest threat to our democracy. From the War on Women, to Science, to Civil Rights, the Xristian Xrazies have many different battle fronts, but it is all one war.

• Steve-O says:

Not complaining about you, TG. I agree that that they are the biggest threat. Thanks for doing what you do. Seriously.

2. SteveC says:

I wish we could fast forward a few hundred years and be past all this religious crap

• Dimitrios says:

While it is true that more scientifically-tested knowledge is becoming available every day, what gives you the impression that mankind, as a species, is becoming more intelligent?

• leefeller says:

We do not need to wait a few hundred years, it seems the demise of our planet as we know it will be much sooner.

Michael Peroutka, a Maryland-based lawyer who was the Constitution Party’s candidate for president in 2004 has taken the time to biblesplain the constitution to us even though he doesn’t know his bible. If he were aware of the story of Abraham he would realize that God=Allah=Yahweh. Stupid Christian. He should know that god always comes in threes anyways. And fuck his heart, he’s going to hell..

4. Bruce388 says:

The Founding Fathers believed that shit about the 6,000 year old Earth? Who knew?

5. C Montgomery Burns says:

Um wait, what? Peroutka is a Lawyer?

I had no idea Hobby Lobby gave sold law degrees.