Up Yours with People

David Brooks digs rock and roll

In general, I’m not opposed to David F***ing Brooks going to Europe to attend a Bruce Springsteen concert. It’s the probability that he will return that is getting my knickers in a twist.

Anyway, my betters are tackling the substance of this column, so I will only nibble around the edges: why is Mr. Brooks writing about pop culture at all, let alone rock music, which I think it is safe to assume he must hate because it is made by dirty f***ing hippies which he has spent a lifetime blaming for everything from the decline of literacy to bad breath? It boggles the mind.

And before we go too far down the rabbit hole, Brooks writes about Tupac. David Brooks drops Tupac’s name in a dependent clause like he is familiar with the subject. OK, before your head explodes in wonder, rest assured he gets the fundamentals of Tupac so wrong that it is absolutely laughable; I won’t spoil that for you but when you read it, if you know anything about Tupac’s life (or death) I promise you that your pants will wet themselves you will laugh so hard. Brooks–as usual–is skimming the culture.

I also think that there is very little coincidence that his nitwit-in-arms Thomas Friedman is in Europe this week, too. Sweet Jeebus, it makes me think that lady strapped next to the corpse got off easy. Imagine having to share a ride with these two dick-breaths.

This entry was posted in Bobo, Our Failed Political Press, Pop Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Up Yours with People

1. M. Bouffant says:

It is not a coincidence that Mr. Springsteen’s initials are “B.S.” He sucks, & his music is a crummy Broadway illusion of rock&roll.

Do not get me started on Brooks & Friedman.

2. HarpoSnarx says:

Someone’s sending in the canaries.

3. Reamus says:

Get both of them stuck on the “watch list” and maybe we can at least get the incompetents at TSA to keep them over there for awhile…probably staying for the Olympics, I mean why wouldn’t Brooks want to write about the Olympics after he screwed up Tupac so badly?

By the way Tengrain, this tiny font really sucks eggs! Is it ever going to revert? I’m goin’ blind here…

4. Reamus says:

• Tengrain says:

Reamus –

I didn’t change the font size; I suspect it is on your end. Try using the Command key + plus sign and see if it gets bigger.

5. grs says:

I wonder what Brooks’ version of Compton looks like.

I can’t snark to this. Springsteen’s music is a direct slap to face of Brooks and yet Brooks goes and has a grand old time never once noting the irony. This is why, year after year, conservative politicians get the cease and desist letters sent their way for using amazingly numerous artists. Disconnect. Just, plain disconnect.

I’m not trying to claim Springsteen for a political demographic. I’m saying his lyrics are distinctly opposite of Brooks’ screeds. Maybe Brooks thinks he helps form people like Springsteen by keeping people down and economically depressed so that they have something to sing about.

From Brooks: “Maybe this is why younger rock bands can’t fill stadiums year after year”. The Boss was selling out stadiums when he first started?

And I, too, also, like to see American musical icons perform in foreign lands. It’s the only way to see them. Or I just pay Elton John to perform at my wedding. That’s the real way to see performers.

6. BruceJ says:

Perhaps he met Tupac once, maybe, in an Applebee’s salad bar.

7. Brooks finds that audiences ‘in the middle of the Iberian Peninsula’–reaching which, I presume, requires three weeks of hard hiking from the nearest trailhead–’singing word for word about Highway 9 or Greasy Lake or some other exotic locale on the Jersey Shore.’ Amazing

It’s a safe bet that no Spanish listener would be able to understand a song about being in love with a girl named Rosalita.

8. PWL says:

Yes , I can just see D. Brooks rocking out in his “green jacket” –and tasseled loafers, khakis, and Izod shirt….Villager hip!