Huzzah. We won.

This is one of those posts I probably should not write.

I’m sure that MPS will lose readers, and there will be angry words in the comments. Wingnuts will send hate mail (more than usual, if that is possible). But here it goes:

OBL won.

We are not the same people we were in the late 1990s. This is a nation crippled. We no longer believe in the American Way. The Rightwing is for all intents and purposes a fundamentalist organization equivalent to the Taliban, if not Al-Qada itself. The left wing has lost its way; we’ve given up fighting the Xristian Xrazies on moral issues, we’ve conceded that fight. It’s no longer about looking out for each other, it is now about I’ve got mine, screw you. For Jeebus.

Both parties now bow and scrape to money and power, and the rest of us take off our shoes when asked and allow our children to be groped by representatives of our government. Welcome to that Kinder, Gentler Nation, The Thousand Points of Light. This is Morning in America.

We have bankrupted our country, killed untold thousands (millions?) of people in the name of hunting-down one man. Well, allegedly this is why we are embroiled in two out of three wars in the Middle East. Even Chimpy admitted after a while that OBL wasn’t the goal and that he didn’t think about him too much (but I’m paraphrasing, of course).

Besides bankrupting ourselves, we also have morally corrupted ourselves in pursuit of this man. We have destroyed everything. We have tortured. We have snatched people up off the street, without due process, and sent them out of the country to be tortured. We have secret prisons God-only-knows-where in which we torture and kill people in hopes of obtaining actionable intelligence. All of our lofty American ideals we sold out based upon the word of honor of a man (without honor) nicked named Curveball. Our government for the past decade has been run by war criminals, but we don’t care, and we have not fought to bring them to justice. But, on the bright side, we’ve been able to watch Dancing with the Stars (featuring Briskett Palin®) and The Apprentice (featuring that short- and fat-fingered vulgarian, The Donald).

And now we have reached a moment of truth of sorts, the bull is dying, and we stand like some sort of Picador, sword aloft, and the ear ready to be severed and tossed into the crowd. We have killed the mastermind of the horrible attacks of September 11, and we have dumped the body in the ocean (the snickering class says this is to be respectful of Muslims, but the rest of us know that this is actually so that traffe like crabs, lobsters and shrimp get the last laugh) . The joke I heard today was (and yes, I laughed at first): Have you heard about the new Osama Cocktail? Two shots and a splash!

We are a morbid lot.

It does not seem all that long ago we all reacted in horror at the Iraqis when they strung up a group of American Blackwater mercenaries, beheaded them, burned the corpses, and then children battered them with sticks, and started singing and chanting. When I see the videos of Americans chanting USA! USA! USA! and acting tribal, I wonder how much more civilized we are than those savages we reacted in horror to not that long ago.

We have become the thing we deplored.

So while so many of our fellow countrymen pat each other on the back for a challenge well-met (after nearly a decade, but who is counting?), no one seems to be asking about the real cost that has been paid, both financially and spiritually. I see the videos of us, American savages, singing about bloodlust, I see a country impoverished and willing to kick grandparents out on the street to quite literally die rather than raise taxes on corporations (that are not paying taxes even as we literally kill ourselves in the oil fields for them), I see a people whose ideals of law and fair play completely diminished, I see people who are willingly eaves-dropped upon, spied upon, giving up their right to privacy, dignity, and whatever it is that substitutes for the pursuit of happiness while we crumble into a third-world nation. I see a once-proud people cringing in fear of the future.

Yeah, so huzzah for us. We got him. We won.

This entry was posted in Chimpy's Great Adventure, The Small Print and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Huzzah. We won.

1. M. Bouffant says:

“We have met the enemy & he is us,” to coin a phrase.

2. Beautiful. Spoken like a true patriot, Tengrain. I would like to post it on the first page of my website when I change pages.

3. Kelly dog says:

Ten,
    I’m afraid you’ve bought into the lie. We were never any different! Think back to the civil rights movement and the 70s antiwar movement. those kids have become their parents. It’s just more of the same.

surprised no. Disapointed yes.

4. KrazyKid says:

Excellent post Tengrain. Humbling, soul crunching, painful, but the truth is like that, no?

So where do we go from here? How do we pick up the pieces that we are left with? Remnants of a society I once knew but now no longer recognize?

I should talk. I moved from the States to Europe one month after 9/11 (it had been planned for at least a year). I haven’t had the slightest inclination to return. My family is there, American news (political) dominates my bookmarks and so if I don’t recognize it any more, it is my fault as well.

I hope we and the world as a whole can recover from this dark spiral we seem to be in. Living outside the States I do know one thing; the depths to which America has fallen with regards to ‘others’ is not an American problem. This exists all over. It is for our betterment to try to fight against this very human affliction.

5. This may well be one of the best posts ever written – and in your case, that covers a lot of territory.

To address Kelly Dog’s comment above, I respectfully disagree. In the spiral of things, we have gone down and not up. The defining moments that Kelly mentions were opportunities for the up… as was 9/11. However, that was not to be.

6. MR Bill says:

Thank you for this.

7. Mike B. says:

I don’t agree that the US is bankrupt – it’s just that the money is concentrated at the top, and it’s those at the top that want us to kick granny out on the street. This means the politicians and media want it too, but I think the polls show that most people are still opposed.

I think the media might be exaggerating the celebration of bin Laden’s death. I have seen no celebration, no one I know has even mentioned his death, and I have overheard no one talking about it. So it’s possible that most people are taking it in stride, but the TV cameras are naturally going to focus on those that are a little more animated.

8. Jado says:

“We have become the thing we deplored.”

Umm, we did that way back when we invaded Iraq. I feel it is similar to being in a meeting where everyone is brainstorming about solutions to a big problem, and someone says something patently ridiculous…and everyone considers it a good idea. And you look around to see if Ashton Kutcher is going to jump out and yell about being punk’d. And nothing happens, and just as you’re realizing that these people may be serious, and you open your mouth to object, everyone adjourns after adopting the lunatic plan for the solution to the problem.

And actually, this analogy would be better if the lunatic plan wasn’t just a lunatic plan, but a lunatic plan which involved shooting people in the face and stealing food from orphans.

And everyone in a position of authority thinks it is the best possible plan of action. Because these are dangerous times, and shooting faces and starving orphans may not be ideal, but it’s the best we came up with. And now that the decision has been made, no alternatives are to be considered.

We are lemmings.

9. I’m just pissed that now I have to go back to finding Waldo.

10. dcmartin says:

I have been saying for a long time that wherever Bin Laden was hiding out, he was watching us tear ourselves apart and laughing his ass off. He may have “started” the work, but we as a nation have been more than happy to finish it ourselves, and his death will not change that. As I wrote yesterday, we have tasted each other’s blood, and we LIKE it.
    Look at what we’ve allowed ourselves to become ……. …..the terrorists “won” a long time ago.

11. Deborah says:

I’m glad you wrote this, Tengrain. Thank you.

12. thematch says:

I concur. Well said. The entire sordid affair is a distraction, a tale told by an idiot nation, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. This death changes nothing, but gives the corporate media something to chatter on about endlesly while ignoring real news and issues that effect everyday people.
    sigh…..

13. Bruce388 says:

After the Supreme Court decided the 2000 election along party lines, we were already headed down this road. Chimpy stated in 1999 that he would have a war, win it, then carry out his plans (tax cuts for the rich, screw everyone else). Bin Laden accelerated our decline, just as he hoped. His strategy was to get us tied down in wars against Muslims, giving them another reason to hate us. The loss of American life and treasure were his goals. Our problem was having a pResident who, after kissing off the reports of bin Laden’s plans for 9/11, obligingly and stupidly invaded the wrong country.

You just can’t make shit like this up.

14. Capt. Bat Guano says:

TG, I think you could have even more brutal, if I was as eloquent as you I would have. Personally I believe OBL was dead some time ago. Dumping the body at sea? Yeah a body was dumped at sea, prolly, but whose? They needed to actually kill our Goldstien but why now? All I felt at the news of this was disgust with the U$A and a vague sadness with the whole state of affairs, realizing that this would change nothing and that the destruction of any humane aspects of this country would continue to be shredded by those jackals on the right.

15. Paul W. Luscher says:

I’ve gotten a lot of shit on other sites for saying what you’ve said. But I just can’t take a “PARTY HARD!” attitude to anyone’s death, no matter how rotten they were. I’m not sorry he’s gone, but it ain’t a reason to hoist a beer and scream “SHOW YER TITS!”

I just find it weird that so many people in this country seem to think war and killing is just a Big Football Game. Guess it’s cause they’re not the ones who have to do the fighting and dying….

Besides, I can’t help thinking how ghastly it looks to the rest of the world. Americans whooping like savages because they iced someone. Not exactly good P.R. for dispelling any myths about the Ugly American. We found it revolting when Arabs whooped it up right after 9/11. Why is this any different? Keep thinking that “two wrongs don’t make a right”.

And I think you’re right. The bad part is that in many ways, OBL won. Because of 9/11 and the malicious purposes to which it was put to by parties with agendas other than simply seeking justice, this country has been badly bent out of shape, and it will take a hell of a lot of work to make it right again, if ever….

16. moeman says:

Nous sommes tous Tengrain.

17. Lee says:

You have written well and expressed what I have not been able to put into words but have wanted. Thank you.

18. Thanks for telling it like it is, Ten – painfully honest, disgustingly true.

Sadly, it won’t be long before we’re looking back and calling THESE the “Good Old Days” – most of America is buying this shit hook, line and sinker, content to watch “reality” television while the Supreme Court fellates the Multinationals.

It’s gonna get ugly, people.

19. wesindc says:

Well done! What you outlined have been my thoughts for a long time as well.

20. Zaius Nation says:

Look on the bright side,.. Resses Peanut Butter cups now come in a variety of sizes!

21. Freida Bee says:

So well said, Ten.

Of course, the US would deny that assassinating any one person (or two or three, Saddam Hussein- and, watch out Qaddafi) or nation building is what all this killing has been about, but I’m willing to not gloat too much if the US military would take this wonderful opportunity to turn away from the lose lose situation that is war.