The Carebear says some pretty words

carebear-blingee

Yup – The Carebear spoke to the Human Right’s Campaign and said some pretty words to the cocktail and canapé activists that should get them to turn on the money tap again.

While saying that he was committed to repealing Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, and the odious Defense of Marriage Act (both enacted by the best GOP President ever, Bill Clinton), Obama did not say what steps he was taking to accomplish this, a timeline for it, or anything else useful or definitive. He basically said the same things he said on the campaign trail.

OBAMA: This story, this fight, continues, now, and I’m here with a simple message: I’m here with you in that fight. (APPLAUSE)

For even as we face extraordinary challenges as a nation, we cannot and we will not put aside issues of basic equality. I greatly appreciate the support I’ve received from many in this room. I also appreciate that many of you don’t believe that progress has come fast enough. I want to be honest about that. (APPLAUSE) Because it’s important to be honest amongst friends.

“Now gimme your money,” he did not add.

UPDATE 1: March on Washington

UPDATE 2: The White House is now calling the gays protesting today “the internet left fringe,” and suggests that “those bloggers need to take off the pajamas, get dressed, and realize that governing a closely divided country is complicated and difficult.”

Gosh, and I thought The Carebear won a super-majority with the White House, the Congress, and the allegedly fillibuster-proof Senate. Where’s the closely divided? (Hat Tip: Tex)

UPDATE 3: Buzzfeed has some of the best signs from the weekend. This is my favorite:
liza

This entry was posted in Civil Liberties, civil rights, marriage equality, The Kenyan Usurper. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Carebear says some pretty words

1. you know it is rahm saying – dont even think of gettin rid of DADT or DOMA until Jan 2013. also rahm is saying – do you actually thing the gays and lesbians will ever vote republican?

rahm is the fracking worst

2. tommyspoon says:

“Now gimme your money,” he did not add.

Classy, ‘grain. Real classy.

3. tommyspoon says:

I’m not going to debate you on Obama’s strategy, ‘grain, because you and I don’t know squat about it. But i think you’re wrong on this. I really do.

• Tengrain says:

Tommy –

Fair enough — I hope I’m wrong, too.

I’m not about everyone singing the same note on the same page, that would make for boring music. Thanks for being such a good friend that you are willing to disagree – you have no idea how much I appreciate that.

4. Buffy says:

The only thing Obama is committed to is our money and votes.

5. tommyspoon says:

The only thing Obama is committed to is our money and votes.

And that makes him different from any other politician….how, exactly? Until we get publicly funded elections, that’s never gonna change. Even Rep. Grayson (who is my new hero) is all about the money and the votes. His recent speeches are pulling in plenty of money, aren’t they?

Look, let’s stop eating our own for just a second, OK? You do realize, ‘grain, that there will be hearings on DADT this Fall — the first hearings EVER held on the issue. Now, Obama had little to do with that, but elections do have consequences. He has brought about a climate that has made such hearings possible. That’s going to do more for the issue in the long run then him signing an executive order that could be easily overturned in a new administration.

OTOH, I’m plenty unhappy that Obama’s poised to re-up the Patriot Act, and I am still plenty steamed at him about the bank bailout. He’s not perfect. But if that’s your standard, then I would kindly suggest that you take up another hobby. Politics is an imperfect, messy business. And if you look really closely at any politician, you are not going to like what you see.

I am no “Obamabot”. But neither am I willing to throw him under the bus just now. Good gravy, it’s been ten months! Let him do his thing. You wanna keep calling the White House and agitate? Go for it! Obama invited everyone to do just that in his speech Saturday night.

And one more thing before I go to the dentist (everyone who is reading this with rising levels of anger can breathe a small sigh of comfort at that!). Andrew Sullivan can kiss my ass. For someone who claims to love America, he has little grasp of its history. Does he know that it took over a hundred years between the passage of the 14th Amendment and the Civil Rights laws of the 1960s? The journey toward equal rights has always been a long one. That’s not some coded statement telling teh gays to be patient, just historical fact. Hearts and minds are changing in this country, faster than even I thought was possible. The laws are always playing catch-up, and they will this time.

• Tengrain says:

Tommy –

I’m glad we are not debating 😉

I know that you are not making the moral comparison between rights for blacks and rights for gays, and I’m sure you don’t mean to be implying that gays can wait their turn for 100 years, if needed. Waiting 100 years doesn’t make it right, as I’m sure you would agree.

Belonging to the Molly Ivin school of Political Science, I don’t pay much attention to what politicians say, but I do pay a lot of attention to what they do. It’s all about the record, and unlike stocks, in politics the past performance is the best indicator of future performance. Obama has no record of actions to evaluate here (except rhetoric and he flip-flopped from the beginning of his career to know on gay rights) — except to make speeches when the pressure is on. That’s not good enough.

And lastly, as a purely pragmatic matter, the midterm elections historically have the party in power losing seats in Congress. If Obama waits much longer, there will most likely not be a supermajority to carry the overturn of DADT and DOMA, and most likely it will be the rallying cry of the right to get themselves elected. If he has any intention of keeping these promises, then he needs to act on them immediately before the mid-term elections.

Regards,

Tengrain

PS – Ouch! I hope your dental appointment is not painful!
      PPS – Sully can kiss my ass, too, btw.

6. libhomo says:

LOL @ the Obama official. I don’t even own pajamas. Anyway, this swing voter between the Democrats and Greens is leaning more Green with each passing day.

7. John Hoffman says:

I think of President Obama as if he were Santa Claus. If I stop believing, I might not get anything for Christmas.

8. Alacrity Fitzhugh says:

What a tyro. Hiilary would have asked for your money, too.

9. datechguy says:

I have a challenge to our friends on the left on my blog concerning this non-surprising story.

What republican are you willing to support in 2012 to teach him a lesson if he doesn’t change?

If you can’t then be prepared to assume the Kevin Bacon position, because he will give you what he wants when he wants to.

• Tengrain says:

Welcome to MPS, Datechguy, it is good to have you with us.

You raise a really interesting question, and currently, I do not see any credible stars on the GOP horizon for 2012. But this isn’t necessarily about GOP v Dims. I would be pleased to see The Carebear get challenged in the primaries by someone who actually came from the left, like a Fiengold, or a Kucinich. I don’t think any of them will, being party loyalists, but it would be interesting. But then again, Dr. Dean might. There’s no love lost between him and Obama/RahmE.

But I think where he might get “taught a lesson” is in the midterms. I think this is a stay-tuned situation.

Regards,

Tengrain

10. datechguy says:

A fair statement fairly stated, but I don’t think any primary challenger has a chance against president Obama in the Democratic party.

Remember how Mrs. Clinton went from the wife of the first “Black President” to racist in 0-30.

I come from the right and that’s my belief but I hate when people are used and I think Obama is using his friends on the left in the same way that some pols (Mitt Romney comes to mind at once) attempt to use people on the right.

Give me an honest disagreement that the people can vote on vs a phony any day.

11. Tommy: I’m not a gambler, but I will put my money on Ten, not Obama. Obama talks pretty, but he has already pissed on the queers and is continuing the long democratic tradition of giving us a wink, asking for our votes and money and delivery NOTHING once they get the position they were running for. Enough. I had enough in 2008…voted third party. If the democrats–including Obama–aren’t smart, they will find out the hard way that I have a lot of company in 2010.

12. tommyspoon says:

I’m not a gambler, but I will put my money on Ten, not Obama.

I’ll take that action. I’ll bet you that DADT will be repealed by Congress before the midterms.

Voted third party? And you still say you’re not a gambler? 😉