Buy Nothing Day

Early bird shoppers run into a Target store in Aurora, Ohio looking for bargains at the beginning of 'Black Friday' shopping early Friday, Nov. 28, 2008. Shoppers, who had snapped their wallets shut since September, flocked to stores and malls before dawn Friday to grab deals on everything from TVs to toys for the traditional start of the holiday shopping season, feared to be the weakest in decades. (AP Photo/Amy Sancetta)
Early bird shoppers run into a Target store in Aurora, Ohio looking for bargains at the beginning of ‘Black Friday’ shopping early Friday, Nov. 28, 2008. Shoppers, who had snapped their wallets shut since September, flocked to stores and malls before dawn Friday to grab deals on everything from TVs to toys for the traditional start of the holiday shopping season, feared to be the weakest in decades. (AP Photo/Amy Sancetta)

Scissorheads

We are not lemmings.

You do not have to feel guilt – or peer pressure for that matter – about NOT rushing out and buying Chinese landfill crap from WalMart.

I am planning on puttering in the garden today. I might go out for coffee (to the locally owned and operated coffee place, not a chain), but that is about it.

And you?

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Buy Nothing Day

1. anita says:

i feel absolutely no guilt about not going into hyper-purchasing mode. but in all honesty, my hyper-purchasing mode pretty much has historically only gone into effect in the couple of days before christmas when i realized i hadn’t bought even one measley gift, so i guess my style tends to be hyper-panic-purchasing mode.

nonetheless, my family and my friends have agreed to a no-gift christmas (other hand-made gifts and goodies). and further to that, i’ve made a commitment to purchasing everything i possibly can (gift or non-gift) at the main street shops of my small city here in the northeast.

so there you go. more, i’m sure, than you possibly wanted, or expected, to know about my holiday and non-holiday shopping plans!!

Anita, that’s terrific! The other 364 days of the year, I try to do whatever shopping I need from local merchants. Keep the money in your community, do not send it off to Megastore HQ in another (usually red) state. Rgds, T.G.

2. liberaldemdave says:

i’ll be on the tractor today…”shredding” pasture (translation for you urban dwellers: you “mow” your lawn and “shred” pasture land).

i’m pretty sure i’m the only texan that wears headphones and sings show tunes at the top of his lungs whilst shredding.

I’m hoping you tell us what is on the playlist, LDD. I’m counting on, “There’s Nothing Like A Dame” from South Pacific. Rgds, Tengrain

3. DCup says:

We’re having Thanksgiving today. I’m cooking, cleaning and catching up on the blogs I missed yesterday. Oh, and writing, of course.

Thanks, Ten, for everything!

P.S. Did you see that a WalMart worker on Long Island was trampled to death by shoppers this morning? Horrifying.

4. betmo says:

went to mom’s and helped strip the turkey carcass and braise the meat off the bones. i also plan on cleaning up the kitchen- as it looks like a bomb went off after all of that cooking- and then get started on making cookie dough that needs to be chilled before rolling. i have cookies to bake in order to send packages out by the end of next week. and, of course, lots of tea to drink as it is dark and gloomy and chilly here in upstate new york 🙂

my shopping is done. i re-gift whenever possible and only buy minimally everywhere else. i am getting too old and crotchety to worry about hurting other folks’ feelings on giving gifts. i started weaning people off 2 cmas seasons ago and will continue until it’s only the little nieces and nephews who get anything. cmas if for the kids anyway. for me, it’s about the food 🙂 that’s why i am plump.

5. raceynora says:

I’m making turkey soup – the house will smell lovely. Haven’t stepped foot in a Wal-Mart in 15+ years. They treat their workers like crap.

Found this site and ordered some pillows [with one for us of course]. The artist is a lovely woman and the pillows stunning. http://www.grottaco.com/contact.html If anyone wants to recommend artists in the SF area, please do!

6. TexBetsy says:

Bought the teen new shoes today and a few odds and ends. Need to get a prescription.

I met with a group of my Orthodox friends this afternoon to say psalms for the victims and those still held hostage in Mumbai. The rabbi and his wife who died are exactly like 5 or 6 couples I am friendly with here. I have several friends who do Jewish outreach and the attacks in Mumbai hit very close to home. A 2 yr old boy is now an orphan, and no clear reason why.

Not feeling the least bit snarky or fun-seeking right now. May not post here for a few days.

7. i cleaned the kitchen, i vacuumed, i walked to the supermarket to get eggs
    that is it……

this is a no-gift xmas for the family this year
    we all agreed to donate to charities in each others name — to people that really need it

8. liberaldemdave says:

sondheim, baby, sondheim… and stuff i was in during college. pippin. west side. cabaret. guys & dolls. the usual.

9. Kelso's Nuts says:

TexBetsy: Though we’ve recently had a theological argument about the nature of cultural Judaism, this is something that leaves us both grief-stricken. My faith in my fellow man and woman, however, is not shaken and I’m wedded by culture and ideology to a pan-Semitism point of view so it doesn’t change how I feel about any other culture. I just hate the monsters who did this to all the innocents. I’m going to do the same thing I here I did in New York on 9/11 and afterwards. I’m going to reach out especially now to my close Muslim and Hindu friends.

However we process it, it’s really hard to swallow. This on the heels of having been reminded of the death of a friend in an airplane crash 12 years ago (he was a Clinton appointee and was on Ron Brown’s plane), has got me a little dizzy and seasick.

I BOUGHT NOTHING TODAY. I’M NOT GOING TO BUY ANYTHING TOMORROW. I ALMOST NEVER BUY STUFF.

10. Tengrain says:

As planned I bought one cup of coffee. Oh, I did have to get some gas for the Prius, but I needed that to go visit my family in another county. Yes, all the various ‘Grains were in the same place at the same time, and that ought to be enough to frighten the horses and the neighbors.

Tengrain

11. Spartacus says:

I slept most of the day until it was time to go see my friend’s cheesy cover band. Just imagine me cringing as a witnessed a bunch of balding 40+ year old men covering “She Sells Sanctuary”. I swore then that if I ever join another band, that I will never, ever do a full set of covers.

12. republicanSScareme says:

What part of “pathetic American” don’t they understand?

13. I bought nothing on Black Friday. Wouldn’t dream of trying. Instead, I rested and visited my friends David and Stephan and ate more turkey. Just doing my part.