What would you ask?

Our good friends at First Freedom First are releasing some powerful new advertisements for the upcoming primary elections, and they pose a really interesting question. Let’s listen to one ad, shall we?

So here’s what the FFF peeps would ask:

1. Leaders on the religious right often say that America is a “Christian Nation.” Do you agree with this statement?
  2. Do you think Houses of Worship should be allowed to endorse political candidates and retain their tax exempt status?
  3. Do you think public schools should sponsor school prayer or, as a parent, should this choice be left to me?
  4. Would you support a law that mandates teaching creationism in my child’s public school science classes?
  5. Do you think my pharmacist should be allowed to deny me doctor-prescribed medications based on his or her religious beliefs?
  6. Will you respect the rights of those in our diverse communities of faith who deem same-gender marriage to be consistent with their religious creed?
  7. Should “faith-based” charities that receive public funds be allowed to discriminate against employees or applicants based on religious beliefs?
  8. Do you think one’s right to disbelieve in God is protected by the same laws that protect someone else’s right to believe?
  9. Do you think everyone’s religious freedom needs to be protected by what Thomas Jefferson called “a wall of separation” between church and state?
  10. What should guide our policies on public health and medical research: science or religion?
  11. In addition to these questions, I think I would ask:

• Do you think Abstinence-only sex education is working in our public schools?
    • Do you think public schools should include religious study, or as a parent, should that be my choice?
    • Do you think libraries should censor information?

So what would you ask?

Consider this a pseudo-meme. Post this video on your blogs and ask the question of your readers, and add your own questions. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to ask the question in the comments here at MPS.

And please give the folks at First Freedom First a visit, and sign the petition. They are doing such good works for all of us. (I know we are a mixed lot at MPS: Christians of all stripes and hues, Jews, some Wiccans, Unitarians, and so many others. We also have a long list of atheists and agnostics, too. FFF cuts across all those boundaries.)

EDIT: I’m floating this on top today – I think it is important to keep it visible.

This entry was posted in Blog Against Theocracy, First Amendment. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to What would you ask?

1. Spartacus says:

Tengrain, consider it done.

2. FranIam says:

This is going up at my place now. Thanks Ten.

3. FranIam says:

For the record….

# Leaders on the religious right often say that America is a “Christian Nation.” Do you agree with this statement? No I do not and I do not want to.

# Do you think Houses of Worship should be allowed to endorse political candidates and retain their tax exempt status? No I do not think that houses of worship endorse candidates period, let alone retaining their tax exempt status.

# Do you think public schools should sponsor school prayer or, as a parent, should this choice be left to me? I do not believe that prayer has a place in public schools.

# Would you support a law that mandates teaching creationism in my child’s public school science classes? Absolutely NOT! It is absurd.

# Do you think my pharmacist should be allowed to deny me doctor-prescribed medications based on his or her religious beliefs? Honestly, if a pharmacist does nto want to dispense a medication and they are in their own pharmacy, fine. If they are in a chain store, then if they can not or will not, there must be personnel available to dispense.

# Will you respect the rights of those in our diverse communities of faith who deem same-gender marriage to be consistent with their religious creed? Marriage should be available to one and all for consenting adults of any gender.

# Should “faith-based” charities that receive public funds be allowed to discriminate against employees or applicants based on religious beliefs? I do not think that faith based charities should be getting all those funds. If they are funded by donation or grant, then they can do as they please. If federal money is involved, that changes.

# Do you think one’s right to disbelieve in God is protected by the same laws that protect someone else’s right to believe? Yes without question!

# Do you think everyone’s religious freedom needs to be protected by what Thomas Jefferson called “a wall of separation” between church and state? Absolutely!

# What should guide our policies on public health and medical research: science or religion? The Constitution is a good place to start and laws that are not skewed to faith based groups.

In addition to these questions, I think I would ask:

* Do you think Abstinence-only sex education is working in our public schools? NO NO NO NO NO!

* Do you think public schools should include religious study, or as a parent, should that be my choice? Religious study should take place in the home or religious institution, not in the public school!

* Do you think libraries should censor information? Without question NO!!!!

Signed,

Resident Catholic

4. Elspeth R says:

Done! And sent on! And, aside from being a Witch, I fully share Fran’s answers!
    Peace!
    Elspeth

5. dguzman says:

going up at my place too; thanks for bringing this up, tengrain!

6. jupiter danzig says:

The US is a Christian nation. It is NOT a Christian theocracy. It is a Christian nation because the vast majority of Americans are Christians.

No. But black churches are huge supporters of black candidates. Adherence to the rules would have a big impact on local results.

The question is too vague.

Pharmacies can stock or not stock any products they choose. If your desired product is not avaialable at the nearest pharmacy, shop elsewhere.

Same-sex legal unions are one thing. Same-sex Marriage is another. The “right” to recognize Same-Sex Marriage does not exist. But the “right” to recognize Same-Sex unions does.

The Salvation Army has answered this question. By its continued existence, the Salvation Army has shown the answer to this question is “yes.”

The US is not a theocracy. The Constitution protects and grants religious freedom. There’s no problem.

7. fairlane says:

My question is this,

So, how do you like your caps in your ass? Over-easy, sunny side up, or hard boiled?

8. BAC says:

Tengrain, thanks for posting this! Jack Klugman and his son Adam were on the radio in NH this morning talking about the First Freedom First campaign. We really do need to get the word out, as they are important questions that deserve answers.

Thanks again,
    BAC

9. A christian nation you say. Whose version Baptists, Southern Baptist, Black Southern Baptist, or well you get the idea. Many of the founding fathers families ended up in this country because they were persecuted by christians in Europe for being the wrong kind of christian.

10. hee-hee. cheflovesbeer early in the morning, apparently.

thanks for posting this, ‘Grain. i followed your lead and did something similar on the otherwhirled and perpetual dawnne.

~d~

11. My question would read,

Would Jesus support capital punishment, considering he’s all about turning the other cheek and loving your enemy—not only that, but Jesus was supposed to totally replace that petty, Old Testament God who has a nasty habit of killing people in brutal ways?

12. that should read– wasn’t Jesus supposed…

13. JimmyDean'sFuckedUpCousinClyde says:

I’d like to ask my leaders whether they will lead me to the Promised Land.

I’m not real big on leaders. Most of the ones I’ve known put their pants on one leg at a time, from the feet up, and I am capable of doing that for myself, thank you.
    I would like “leaders” to completely avoid governmental interference in personal private matters–like faith, and focus totally on the problems that surround us and haunt us: adequacy of clean water, air, food, shelter, jobs, elimination of weaponry, and the hygiene of the orb we use to whirl around the nearest star.
    Otherwise, fuck off.
    There’s enough material here to keep them occupied for centuries, one would think.

14. Sarah says:

jupiter danzig said: What about commerce? Organ sales would net billions. Selling babies probably much more.

Uh, America outlawed slavery a while back. Therefore, you can’t sell babies. Sorry. The issue of “selling” organs has nothing to do with religion or science.

I don’t know if you were trying to be sarcastic or not, but your attempt backfired.

15. FranIam says:

A note to Elspeth– I never met a Witch I did not like and many of my fellow so-called Christians would call me the same, so we are in good company together!

Jupiter Danzig showed up as anonymous on my blog.

This was a great post Ten and I am glad to be a part of so many who took it out to our own corners of the sphere. As I often say, as a person of faith, I am the last one to want this to be run by our government. Shudder!

16. Elspeth R says:

Fran, when I started coming out of the ‘broom closet’ to my friends (still working on it inside my family – mom and dad are rather, sadly, uber-conservative bush-lovers…yick – and they used to be so liberal!?! of course, I am completely grown up and independent, why can’t I just breeze on out to them? crikey!), my Catholic friends were the coolest about it, of the religious pals. The Atheists were supportive, too (in an amused way).
    Peace and blessings to Fran and All!
    Elspeth

17. I thought I commented here last night (damn you Nero d’Avola). anyhoo, I posted per your instructions, darling. Thanks for the information.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s