(Yes, I’m moving this post up because I don’t want it to slide off the page between now and the event. Check the bottom of the post for updates.)
Regular readers know that MPS is a sarcastic humor blog with a heart – sure, we nip at the heels of pontificating poltroons, take the low road while riding the high horse, and generally misbehave with the misbegotten; but we do it because Scissorheads genuinely want to make the world a better place, and sometimes you have to take no prisoners in the culture wars.
Well, Easter 2007 weekend is your chance to join the fun and to make a difference — all from the comfort of your living room. We are planning a blogswarm against theocracy.
Like a plague of locusts, a blogswarm is when bloggers descend on a single topic and “catapult the propaganda” (as the Decider once said), with the hope and intention that it might influence the larger society. In other words, if we lowly citizens make a big enough squawk, we might be able to give the media a goose, who in turn might give the dark overlords in Washington DC pause to reconsider the error of their ways.
As Blue Gal says, there are no rules to this.
So please join us in the fun:
- If you have a blog, sometime during Easter weekend, post an entry against theocracy and in favor of the separation of Church and State. You can check this post here at MPS for ideas, or go to our good friends and allies at First Freedom First for more background material.
- I designed the logo above, feel free to download it and use it on your blog.
- If you do not have a blog, join me here and comment, Comment, COMMENT.
- If you do not have a blog, this might be a great time to start. You have a voice, use it.
Just to warm up to the idea, here are some issues that the First Amendment currently addresses:
- No religious discrimination
- PRO End-of-Life Care (Terri Schiavo Travesties)
- Reproductive health decisions made by individuals (think about your pharmacist, would he (and it is almost always a he) deny you the ability to choose birth control)
- Democracy not Theocracy
- Academic Integrity (Bible study as a required component of public school curriculum)
- Sound Science (Intelligent Design (creationism with labcoats), geology vs. Biblical interpretations, archeology — Adam rode a dinosaur to work didn’tcha know… )
- Respect for ALL families (The Gay Marriage Amendment)
- The right to worship, OR NOT
I want to stress that this is not an anti-religion activity — I personally do not care if you worship a rock, a picture of Elvis or some other dead guy, or nothing at all in a church, mosque, temple or at the local bar — this is about keeping the Government and all Religions separate, and never shall the twain meet.
So please, Please, PLEASE join me Easter Weekend. And remember, if Jebus sees his shadow, we have 6 more weeks of winter.
(You’d be disappointed if I didn’t snark just a little in a post this long, right?)
UPDATE 1: The Neural Gourmet (and you have to love that name!) has some further instructions, including some Technorati tips that will help pull this swarm off.
UPDATE 2: Blue Gal has put together a spot on the web to act as a clearing house, Blog Against Theocracy. There are some instructions there, too, about how to participate.