In Megan McArdle’s Own Words

Newsweek’s own Libertarian, Megan McArdle, brilliant strategist that she is, has the WWI tactical solution for when you find yourself in a gun battle:

“I’d also like us to encourage people to gang rush shooters, rather than following their instincts to hide; if we drilled it into young people that the correct thing to do is for everyone to instantly run at the guy with the gun, these sorts of mass shootings would be less deadly, because even a guy with a very powerful weapon can be brought down by 8-12 unarmed bodies piling on him at once. Would it work? Would people do it? I have no idea; all I can say is that both these things would be more effective than banning rifles with pistol grips.”

Ever see the movie Galipoli, Megan?

Jeebus, some people.

This entry was posted in Death of the Media, In their own words, Pundits who make me crazy. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to In Megan McArdle’s Own Words

1. Labrys says:

Riiight. A bunch of six year olds should tackle the guy with the Bushmaster.

I’d say “Shoot me now”….but, yeah, no.

2. And drop my drink? No thanks.

3. Axel Grease says:

another example of how wonderful people educated under reagan are…..

4. tommyspoon says:

Never mind that two of the adults killed in CT died doing exactly what Megan suggests.

5. grs says:

…if we drilled it into young people that the correct thing to do…

What? Like at a FEMA re-education camp?

6. tommyspoon says:

No, ‘Grain. She’s a coward.

7. Ted says:

I will go if Megan McArdle shows me that rushing the shooter works by her demonstrating. Maybe.

8. Dimitrios says:

Traditionally, the people who follow McArdle’s strategy are known as “cannon fodder.”

9. Nangleator says:

Well, this *is* how she views the common people. Every last person on Earth, including people in multi-decade comas knows whether she would take her own advice.

10. Standard glibertarian:

You do some stupid thing that will be horrible for you, because my ideology is more important than your welfare.
    ~

11. Another Kiwi says:

As Gargle McGargle says Would it work? Would people do it? I have no idea; She’s got this on a macro and can just plug it into anything she writes

12. “…if we drilled it into young people t

30 Bishops just pricked up their ears.

13. Squatlo says:

I think the movie “Zulu” might be more apt, if you’re looking for visual aids. Instead of training our kids to rush toward the shooter with the intent of overwhelming him, why don’t we spend a few minutes talking to our kids about not taking a gun to school or work?

The saddest part of this entire incident has been the total disregard for the family of the kid who pulled the trigger. He killed his own mom, and now his family (and extended family) have to bear the shame of what he’s done. Unlike a “Bush” or a “Cheney”, those people will probably never live down the shame he’s brought upon them… and yet, they can’t even mourn their own losses.

As long as assault rifles are easier and cheaper to obtain than quality mental health care in this country, we’ll always be fearful of and for our kids, and hiding behind pulled curtains hoping the horror moves along to another house.

14. joesdaughter says:

In essence she is blaming the innocents for becoming victims.

15. I’d be a LOT more inclined to rush a guy who wasn’t carrying a semi-automatic weapon.

Any thoughts on THAT, Megan?

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s